Thursday, October 8, 2009

Busy times for the Swain clan

So in light of Sheriece's most recent and most fantastic update, I thought I might offer the same.

Let's see...

Me-

I am doing very well in school thus far...even though it's only been a week of my full load, I am feeling pretty confident that I am going to do well in all of my classes. I got my first graded assignment back from my English Composition and it was 20/20 which I am pretty proud of. My other three classes: Biology, Nutrition and Math are online classes...which I'm not too fond of because I do better in a classroom setting but from what I gathered from this week, I will do fine. I do homework while Jaxon takes his two naps daily and I shower while Ron comes home for lunch. This may sounds awful but I just can't drag myself out of bed at 5:30 to get ready before Jaxon gets up. I just can't do it...soooo, I guess I have do what I have to do. And in between homework during naps and showers during lunch hours, I am trying to keep up with the housework. I could kick myself for not taking the college thing seriously the first time when I wasn't tied down to any responsibilities but I guess it doesn't matter at this point. Better late than never, right?!

Please excuse the gloating that may arise with my potential success in school, I just really feel like I am doing something worth while to better myself and our family. It feels really good and I want to share it with everyone. :)

Ron-

He's doing well. He has some tests coming up next week, I believe, that will give us a better idea of what has been going on with his heart. I will definitely keep everyone posted with anything that we find out. In the meantime, he is on profile which means he is not allowed to do anything strenuous, like PT (physical training). Ron has been great and supportive about how much time I have had to put into school. On Sunday, I had to write a paper that was due on Tuesday and he cleaned the house. I thought that was great. My English Comp class is on Tues and Thurs from 7P - 9:15P, which is really late and long class!!! He's been great about getting Jaxon ready for bed and into bed on those nights. I really appreciate all of his help (but I know that he knows if he helps me through this school thing, we will all benefit greatly...monetarily speaking. LOL.) No but really, he's a great and very hands-on dad.

Ron took me up the side of a mountain this past weekend in the Bronco. I was TERRIFIED. It was a narrow dirt road that curved every which way and uuuupppp and doooowwwwnnn...Oh lord. I was sore when we got home from being so tense for those 3 hours. We did get some pretty pictures though.








Alrighty, now for the best part..

Jaxon Maddox-

He is absolutely fantastic. He is walking and trying to run EVERY.WHERE. He is an extremely active and smart little boy. He is saying "mama" "dada" "no no" and "hi". He is waving goodbye, signing for "milk" "all done" "more" and he is clapping. He has also figured out the trash can and for some reason, I have caught him twice trying to throw away a pair of my favorite shoes...it's funny now but it won't be so funny when we can't find our keys or phone. Heaven forbid the trash had already been taken out. :) We would be stuck but don't think I wouldn't make Ron go out to the dumpster to look. Tee hee hee.

Jaxon has come up with the most awful attitude and tantrums in the past week or so. I really don't know what to do with him or how to discipline him. He's started getting mad and hitting us in the face when we tell him "NO" about something. I am at a loss as to what to allow and what to punish for...and even HOW to discipline a 1 year old. I'm not okay with the spanking thing at this point and he's also too young for time outs so I guess it's the good firm "NO" that will have to do and he will just have to throw his tantrums. I mean, even if we were to "punish" him at this point, he wouldn't understand what he was getting in trouble for since he doesn't understand the 'consequences of his actions' concept yet.

He's fantastic for other people but for me, he's a terror. God gave me a fantastically adorable and perfect baby for a reason, He knew he was going to give me a run for my money. :) I just look at that awesomely handsome face and my patience resets (most of the time), other times, I put him in his crib and take a break from him.





Anyways, that's us for now. Ron has a 4 day weekend this weekend so I am finishing up my homework today for the weekend so we can both be OFF until Tuesday! I'm really excited. We are going to a Pumpkin Patch tomorrow so I am sure I will get some nice photos of that and I will share with everyone.

Love you all!

4 Kudos:

AD said...

What a great update! I hope you will feel free to share all of the good news about your schooling! Brag a bit! We're all so proud of you that it won't feel like you're bragging at all! So glad to hear that Ron is so supportive and that you are so appreciative of his support.

Re little Jaxon's tantrums...the key is distraction at this age. Just pick him up and distract him with some other thing. Going outside is a huge key, too. If you can just go outside in those moments when he is fussing, he'll quickly turn around. You're a great mom and your intuition is right. Spanking and other punishment doesn't work at this age at all. Putting him in his crib and walking out is the best thing to do if it gets to you. Crying never hurt a child. Let him cry and you take big breaths so you can reset! :) Love you!

Unknown said...

Great post! I agree with AD, you should TOTALLY be proud of your school! In a few short years, you will be college educated and I won't be!! HORROR! HAHA!

And you're going to have to film some of this "terror" stuff if you want me to believe you. Jaxon is incapable of such things!

But seriously, I am a big believer in withholding attention. That bothers them more than you getting mad. If he's being rude and ornery, look the other way and ignore him. And when he's being sweet and nice, shower him with attention. That's my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

Carla said...

You already got some really good advice from two really great Moms!
(and I agree)
You should brag all you want about school. It's a huge thing to do at any age or situation. I'm proud of you too!
Fun pictures & video too, thanks for sharing!

McKelle said...

i loved your update! and your pictures! you're so pretty! can't wait to see you :)