Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I just have to write about it.

Breastfeeding. Nursing.

I have gotten a number of questions like "Are you still breastfeeding him?" When I respond with a yes, I always get a "Wow!"

We have continued to breastfeed for a number of reasons. I do believe it's what is best for Jaxon, which is the number one reason we have continued. It's free, which is the second reason...it's convenient and it burns calories. Those are less important reasons but they just add to my arsenal of reasons why we have kept it up.

I love nursing Jaxon. We have such a special relationship and I do attribute that to breastfeeding. Not to say that others don't have great bonds with their formula fed children but for us, I do believe that we have a particularly special bond because of the nursing.

I'm not sure of my point of this post. I kind of just felt the need to say that I believe that breast is best for babies....and I think that other than the small percentage that truly CAN'T breastfeed, everyone should do their child the favor of breastfeeding. There is a huge difference between CAN'T and WON'T. I truly admire mothers who pump for their children if they work or if they can't get a good latch. Exclusively pumping and feeding breastmilk is hard. Good for all you mommas who do that!

I would normally keep my opinion about subjects like these to myself but there is something about the reaction that I get when telling people that we're still nursing at 8 months; It's kind of set me off about the subject.

7 Kudos:

Carla said...

I agree. Breastfeeding is best. Everyone has their preferences and some do it longer than others. It's a personal thing. You're a good mommy! Just don't let strangers reactions bother you. Just say, it's really none of your business....

AD said...

I wanted to keep breastfeeding my kids beyond 8 months, but it seemed to be the time between 7-8 months that my milk supply dwindled and they were not satisfied. I would go as long as you and Jaxon are successful! Talk to our cousin Trish...she is still occasionally nursing her 2 year old!

Maegan said...

Thanks Carla and AD!

I've actually told Ron that I was interested in allowing Jaxon to self wean which could take us closer to his 2nd year.

People are really weirded out by toddlers nursing...lol.

Unknown said...

You know where I stand on this. You rock! I will say that you and I were LUCKY that breastfeeding came pretty easily both to us and our babies. I am SO grateful for that, because I seriously have THE BEST memories of breastfeeding.

And it's true that it's a special bond. In fact, many pediatricians recommend mothers that bottle feed do it while having skin to skin contact, and having eye contact with their babies. It's all too easy with bottle to do it while they're in a car seat or while walking around doing other things. Breastfeeding forces you to focus on your baby for that time, and it's a really great thing.

Addison nursed until she was like 13 months, and EVEN people who were pro-breastfeeding were like, "ummm... when are you going to wean her!?" LOL And look how damaged she is now!!

Maegan said...

You're right, Sheriece. We are lucky that it came easily for us. It was hard and I ALMOST gave up 3 or 4 times...but I'm glad I've stuck it out. I hope that we can continue.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you. I've been nursing olivia now for 16 months. I plan on nursing until 2...After that I'm not sure. When I think about weaning I get upset and relieved at the same time. I like the idea of self weaning too...but Im not sure if I'm comfortable with waiting until 3 or 4...

Breast is best and I think people should do it for there babies.

Sabra said...

Breastfeeding was a priviledge I treasured. Nothing like that bond, really. Like Carla said, don't worry about others reactions. NOYB. You go girl.