Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A gentle reminder...

I went with a friend to welcome her husband home from Iraq today. It was a gentle reminder of how lucky Jaxon and I are to have Ron home, safe and sound. It brought back great memories of the joy I felt that day that I welcomed him home 4 months ago. It was sheer happiness. Definitely goes on my list of the top 10 best days ever.

I wish everyone who supports our troops could experience a Homecoming Ceremony. They are truly touching. I had chills nearly the entire time. It's so special to put faces to all of the little children who have been missing their mommy or daddy for an entire 12 / 15 months...all of the spouses who have done it all alone for that time.

There was an hour before the troops got to the gym that a DJ was playing music. All of the kids were out in the floor dancing their butts off. It was so cute. I couldn't take my eye of this little toddler boy who was seriously getting his groove on. I couldn't take my mind off of the fact that in the last 15 months of his dad's absence, he has grown in ways that his dad could not even imagine....and chances are, the toddler boy looked at his dad like "What the crap, You're real!?"

While it's inevitable, I don't want Jaxon to be that boy.

I know it's not on people's list of priorities but I would urge everyone to take a trip to a Homecoming Ceremony. I've never experienced anything like it.

2 Kudos:

Unknown said...

That's awesome. It sounds like a really amazing atmosphere, I can't even imagine. I know it was almost surreal seeing Ron come home and meet Jax, I can't even imagine all those families being reunited at once. THANKS TROOPS!!!

Sabra said...

Wow, Maegan, what a thoughtful, poignant post. Thanks for the reminder. I am so glad your little family is intact and together.