Thursday, March 19, 2009

Is it just me?

When your spouse is absent, you tend to forget all the negatives...like, when they get into the shower before getting a towel. This scenario ends in one of two annoying ways... walking into the bathroom and stepping in huge puddles of water from him getting the towel himself or hearing, "HEY BABE, can you get me a towel?". I have been making an effort to keep a towel in the bathroom for him so neither is an issue.

Is it just my husband or is it just men in general? It seems that half the time, he is incapable of repeating back to me what I had just said. In the past week, I don't know how many times I have said "Did you not hear me when I told you that yesterday?" and "I just explained all of that a few minutes ago!".

I'm trying to cut him some slack but this learning to live with each other is harder than I thought it would be. I think we're doing really good but we are definitely having our moments. We are both taking notes as we reintegrate ourselves into our spousal roles...and now, parenting roles. He's been such a good sport with it all. He takes my slight overreactions with a grain of salt....all while I am learning what's important to complain about and what's not. It was a wise person who instructed people to choose their battles.

We're a work in progress but we're making it. :)

7 Kudos:

Carla said...

Ah Maegan, you hit the nail on the head. Relationships are hard at best. I'm sure you two will work out the kinks that come with parenting a new baby and getting used to being together again.
And yes, it's all men that act like they are listening and then the next day say, "you never told me that". Ugh!

Nikki said...

Sounds like you both have the right attitude about it. I have decided Shane and I aren't allowed to argue/fight about housework anymore. We both feel like we do more than the other and will never change our position on the subject...its an arguement that can't be won, only lost be both over and over...so why bother.

PS You look marvelous!!!!

Sabra said...

As long as you are both AWARE of the learning curve, you have it made. Patience and love and BE KIND to each other. Deep breath and remember the morning he got up with the baby when you step in that puddle. Deep breath and remember the loving way he looks at your son when you have to say something the second or third... time. I love you guys to pieces. Keep up the good work.

Sabra said...

PS You do look fab, chick.

Cassandra said...

Is it strange that I just wanted to comment to say that you look great! I got beaten to the punch line but I guess that no one ever gets tired of hearing it :-)

AD said...

Transitions are tough, no matter what. I imagine there is a bit of pressure to make up for all the lost time, too. Just listen to the voice inside that encourages you to be forgiving, to bite your tongue, and to let go of the small stuff. (Try to tune out the voice that wants you to show him what's what, or to make him feel like a dunce for not hearing you the first time. If you are like me, there are always two voices at play...)

A friend recently told me that she realized she could go around using up all of her time and energy being bugged with her husband over little things. Or not. Was that really how she wanted to live? She decided no.

And ditto about your gorgeousness. You look radiant.

Unknown said...

You do look so pretty!

And yes, it's only you. Everyone else has PERFECT marriages and NEVER get on each other's nerves. Take me and Jerad for instance! I have NEVER been annoyed at him and WOULD NEVER give in to the urge to nag. NEVER EVER!

And if you believe that, I have a bridge I want to sell you... ;)